Are you fascinated by the human mind? Do you have a passion for making a lasting difference in people’s lives?
A major in Psychology qualifies you for employment in almost any field that requires interaction, dialogue, and understanding of others. Psychology students at MVNU are prepared to enter a large number of professional careers or to become licensed psychologists or counselors through further work in graduate school. Student research is encouraged and supported along with travel opportunities and internship experiences.
- High achievement — Our Psychology graduates consistently score above the national average on the Educational Testing Service Major Field Test in Psychology and are accepted into graduate schools of their choice. This means you can be confident you are getting the education you need to be successful in graduate school and in your future career.
- Personalization — Our faculty focuses on helping the student understand Psychology broadly before choosing elective courses and internships that complement the student’s strengths, personality, and interests. You will have time to determine what your preferred area of study is and then have a personalized set of courses that works best for you.
- Relevant skills — This program has a stringent research base, which gives students sought-after skills in reading, writing, experimental research, statistical analysis, and problem solving. You’ll develop the kind of marketable, hands-on skills that employers are looking for.
- Research opportunities — In addition to research conducted in courses, department faculty encourage talented and motivated students to pursue a senior honors thesis. Students work closely with a faculty mentor that provides encouragement, advice, and guidance along the entire process of selecting a topic, developing a research hypothesis and method, and finally analyzing and interpreting the data. Student scholars are encouraged to present their work at the MVNU undergraduate research symposium (sURC).
Psychology students have numerous opportunities for cross-cultural travel experiences. Historically, students have travelled to Papua New Guinea and participated in a long-distance bicycle tour of California and Arizona. Upcoming trips include Play Therapy students traveling to Florida and a bicycling trip through Cuba.
All MVNU students are also invited to participate in our many other service and learning trips.
MVNU Psychology graduates are successful in being admitted to and completing graduate school programs in many areas like counseling, school psychology, school counseling and marriage and family therapy, and go on to gain valuable educational experiences in life after MVNU. Graduates are successful in securing employment in a diverse range of fields including mental health, human resources, and nonprofit services.
Psychology graduates work in diverse jobs and institutions:
- Health and Human Services
- Mental Health Services
- Human Resources
- Chemical Dependency Treatment Centers
- Parsons School of Art and Design
- Higher Education
- School Counseling and Psychology
- US Military
- National Institute of Health
- Local, State, and Federal Government Agencies
- Non-profit Agencies
Graduates have continued their study at:
- Xavier University
- The Ohio State University
- Ashland University
- University of Akron
- Fuller Theological Seminary School of Psychology
- Bowling Green State University
- Capital University
- Wheaton College