Middle Childhood Education
A degree in Middle Childhood Education (MCE) from MVNU will more than adequately prepare you to feel comfortable and confident teaching grades 4 through 9 in your two chosen content concentrations.
- Strong reputation — MVNU's School of Education and Professional Studies has long been known as a quality program because of the extensive hands-on field experience offered to students starting freshman year.
- Learning abroad — You will have the opportunity to complete part of your student teaching internationally in South America, Africa, Europe, Asia, and Australia. You’ll get an in-depth look at what education looks like globally and be better prepared to be an excellent educator wherever you choose to begin your career.
- Quality faculty — All professors in this program have professional experience in teaching and/or administration in public or private schools. This means you’ll be learning from people who have been where you’re going.
- Dr. Dean Goon
- Associate Professor of Education and Director of Innovative Education
- Professor Jessica Grubaugh
- Assistant Professor of Education, Director of Graduate Education and continuing Education
- Dr. Sharon Metcalfe
- Professor of Education, Associate Dean for Education Programs
- Dr. Stephen Metcalfe
- Professor of Education
- Professor Elizabeth Napier
- Assistant Professor of Education, NCATE Coordinator
- Dr. Pam Owen
- Professor of Education
- Dr. Bevin Shiverdecker
- Professor of Education/Director of Undergraduate Field and Clinical Experiences
- Professor Lynn Shoemaker
- Assistant Professor of Education
- Professor Mickie Strausbaugh
- Assistant Professor of Education, Director of Graduate Field and Clinical Experiences
- Dr. Michael Traugh
- Professor of Education, Acting Dean
- Professor Krishana White
- Instructor of Education
Your main workspaces in this program will be the classrooms you get to teach and assist in, in your licensure area, as early as your first or second semester.
There are opportunities to complete part of your student teaching semester internationally in Costa Rica, China, Central America, South America, Africa, Europe, Asia, and Australia as well as New York City, Boston, and Los Angeles. You’ll get an in-depth look at what education looks like globally and be better prepared to be an excellent educator wherever you choose to begin your career.
All MVNU students are also invited to participate in our many other service and learning trips.
MVNU has a strong reputation for putting out qualified, savvy, and caring Education graduates. Employers know that we exceed the number of field hours required for licensure by the state of Ohio — because of that reputation, our grads are always in high demand. The vast majority of them secure jobs not long after, and sometimes even prior to, graduation.
A Middle Childhood Education degree from MVNU will prepare you to teach grades 4–9 in your two content areas. An endorsement is also available that will enable you to teach grades 4–6 in a self-contained classroom.
MVNU MCE grads work at schools across Ohio and beyond, including:
- Liberty Middle School, Newark, OH
- Orion Academy, Cincinnati, OH
- Bellefontaine Intermediate, Bellefontaine, OH
- Mount Vernon Middle School, Mount Vernon, OH
- Triad Middle School, North Lewisburg, OH
- Franklin Woods Intermediate, Grove City, OH
- Clay County Middle School, Clay, WV